This month already had been a month of all season’s with snow, sleet, rain, hail, wind and oh wait for it, five full days of good sunshine to end with some more winter weather.
But during these five days I tackled a lot in the garden despite having a lovely cold and not feeling 100%. I just wanted to push on with things and get the garden ready for going into summer. Thursday I didn’t have much energy, due to the worst day of this particular cold.
To start off, I emptied these big containers that had lovely perennials in them. I split the perennials and popped some into the far back border that I re-organised with the shrubs, primroses and many other plants. Before planting up this border, I treated the soil with compost and bone meal to give the plants a good start. The remaining split perennials are potted up and waiting for new homes. All the perennials are now house in the temporary greenhouse.
I’m also experimenting with some dark red Cornus (dogwood) cuttings and have 14 all potted and hoping that they will take root. I’m quite excited as I’ve always thought about use root hormone powder but never took the bull by the horns and did it!
The small tomato house is up and ready – all I now have to do is choose which tomato plants I want and I’m thinking of getting three different ones and see how we get on.
Fruits plants have been bought. I planted blackcurrant, autumn fruiting raspberries, blackberries. Still to plant are gooseberries and something really experimental: Goji Berries.
Today I planted up the veg boxes with spinach, ‘Rainbow’ & ‘Bolder’ beetroot and some swiss chard. I’m planning to sow runner beans, peas and french beans into jute bags. I’ve also to plant potatoes into the bags (Maris piper) and I’m trying to think where I put them!
I evaluated the strawberries and wanted to start from scratch again as the varieties I originally have got completely muddled up whilst we were landscaping last year. This year I bought ‘Elsanta’ and ‘Symphony’. Elsanta I’ve had previously and they are nice and sweet, but the ‘Symphony’ variety I’ve not heard of and I’m intrigued to try!
The Helleborus needed tidying up as the leaves were looking spotty with the disease, so I pruned all leaves back to try to get rid of any disease. On talk of tidying up I’ve tried to fill in patches on the lawn. I’m thinking I’m going to have to try this again as I can only see a small patch actually taking it. Some topsoil ought to help with the next batch and I’m going to have to let the grass grow a bit before I cut again so I can let the new grass growth establish!
The daffodils are all out in full flower, making the garden all bright and cheery even when the heavens opened. The snake head fritillary is also out and I love looking at them as it looks like someone have painted then in watercolour!
Next week I aim to get some more seeds sown using my nice shiny new potting table which Mr C helped put together and hope we have some more sunny warm days!
Some flowers from the garden …